This project is read-only.

Rasphone.pbk causes Black Screen on startup on Vista Enterprise SP1.

Nov 17, 2009 at 2:28 PM
Edited Nov 17, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Hi,

I have an application with which I can connect to an Mobile Data Device via RAS connection. I create an DUN and use RAS calls to establish an internet connection using my Mobile Data Device.

I have developed the application using VC++ 2005 on Vista.

One of our customers (customers of the firm for which I work for) have reported an "Black Screen" on returning from hibernate mode and because of this black screen, he is not able to log-on. The environment is Vista Enterprise SP1 on Dell Latitude Tablet PC.

The work around is that the user has to log-in in "Safe Mode", delete "Rasphone.pbk" (which my application created while making connection) and then he is able to log-in.

I happened to have a look at the Rasphone.pbk that was "possibly" causing this issue but found nothing unusual.

Have you guys faced similar issues where-in you observed an "Black Screen" on returning from hibernate/sleep/restart on Vista Enterprise SP1 and which goes away on deleting the Rasphonebook.pbk (after logging onto Safe Mode).

Regards,

Nov 17, 2009 at 3:52 PM

I can't imagine why a phone book would be causing a black screen when the machine comes out of hibernation.

Have you been able to reproduce the problem yourself?

Does your application do anything when the phone book is removed from the expected location?

The components in the project do not show any UI except for the dialogs exposed by the RAS API and the dialog to find a file during development. I've seen more problems with computers and hibernation in Windows that I keep it turned off on my machines.

Nov 18, 2009 at 6:10 AM

No. We were not able to reproduce this issue.

If I were to remove the phonebook from it's location, when i attempt an connection, it would create a new one.

If one already exists, then we delete the entry corresponding to the DUN which my application uses and create a new one.

I think this issue is reproducible when the system is coming from a restart.

Nov 18, 2009 at 4:06 PM

I was thinking about this issue the other day. If the machine comes out of hibernation, restarts, and doesn't go into safe mode or doesn't delete the phone book what happens? It sounds to me like it's a problem with that specific machine.

Is there anything special about the entry in the phone book I should be aware of? SSL certificates or things of that nature.

Nov 19, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Finally figured out the issue.

For selected devices, there were 2 entries for the same COM Port of the mobile data device  resulting in the faulty phonebook and there for the black screen.

When i remove one of the duplicate entries, the issue goes away.

Thanks jeff_winn for your help.

Nov 19, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Ah, glad to hear you got it working. If you have any other questions or comments, don't hesitate to ask. :)