Many PPOE Connection in one tome

Apr 25, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Hi everyone,

I am developing a test program for testing our PPOE server performance.

Is it possible to create may PPOE connection with DotRas in one time without create phonebook entry ?

For example, I want create 10.000 Connection to server in my application .

I am using C#.

Thanks

Coordinator
Apr 26, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Unfortunately the Windows RAS API requires those types of connections to have an entry in a phonebook for all the different connection settings they require. Typically what I do when wanting to create temporary entries is use my own custom phonebook path rather than one of the built-in phonebooks. This keeps the list of dial-up entries I use from changing, and it's easy for cleanup to just delete those temporary files required.

You can access this from the RasPhoneBook.Open method, just pass it the path you wish it to use, if the file doesn't already exist it will be created.

Apr 27, 2012 at 6:02 AM

Thanks a lot Jeff.

But my another question, is it possible, to create more than 10000 connection in same time ?

All connections are using one user name and password.

I Help and documents, but about PPOE , I did not see samples, can you send a sample, that using 1 username and password and create mnay connections in same time ?

Do I must using threads ?

Thanks again.

Coordinator
Apr 28, 2012 at 1:15 AM

To be honest, I've never checked how many connections are allowed to be in a single phone book. And to the best of my knowledge, you can only have a single PPPoE connection active at any point in time on a machine. I could be wrong there, but I have no way of testing it to confirm. With that said, the only reason you'd need 10,000 connections is if they all had different PPPoE configurations other than address and credentials. If the only difference between them is the credentials and the address, you can just modify the connection with the correct address before dialing, and pass the appropriate credentials into the dialer when needed. Personally, I'd consider other options to storing that many connections in a phone book.

As for your request for a PPPoE example, it would be the exact same as the VPN example, other than the call to RasEntry.CreateBroadbandEntry instead of RasEntry.CreateVpnEntry.

Apr 28, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Thanks a lot Jeff,

This only a performance test for our PPOE server. We want know, if we have 10.000 Online user in our PPOE server, how it will work.

Hence all connections have a simple configuration. All PPOE connections, will connect with special username and password to one server.(our user is multiple session )