Deployment of an application that uses DotRas.dll

Mar 31, 2011 at 3:12 PM

Hi Jeff

I would like to know why different versions of the DotRas.dll exist, depending on the OS running on the machine.

I am developing an application that uses DotRas.dll. This application must be deployed on PCs that are running different OSes. How the different versions of DotRas.dll affects the deployment ?

Thank you

Coordinator
Apr 1, 2011 at 12:11 AM

Basically the issue is with the RAS features that each operating system supports. The Choosing your Build page in the help file will be more specific than I will be here, but if you're trying to maximize your supported operating systems without having to recompile your app you'll need to use the DLL compiled for the earliest operating system you need to support. If you need features specific to more recent operating systems like Windows 7 or Vista, but also need to support Windows XP, you'll need to work out how you intend to compile your application in your build environment. In most situations you can just use the Windows 2000 or Windows XP DLL and get support for most everything you'll need.

Keep in mind, if you run a copy of DotRas compiled for Windows 7 on an earlier version of Windows like Windows XP, you'll see methods starting to throw RasExceptions containing a 632 error code indicating the structure is sized incorrectly. Windows determines which operating system the DLL was built for based on the size of the structure passed into the APIs.

Hopefully that answered your question. For more specific information, see the help file in the Getting Started -> Choosing your Build page.

- Jeff

Apr 1, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Most helpfull. Once again thank you.

Felicia