This project is read-only.

Configuring a Remote Access Server to handle a DotRas Connection

Apr 26, 2010 at 9:43 AM

Hi Folks,

I apologise if the answer to this question seems obvious, it certainly isn't to me.  I also apologise if this seesm slightly off topic.

I am writing software that will run at both ends of a Windows XP RAS link, (one end is XP Embedded, the other is XP Desktop).

I have a problem that I discussed with Jeff a few weeks ago whereby it's possible for the Dial Up connection to be broken by events outside my control such as a telephone line being dropped.  This causes the connection at the remote PC, (the server), to become orphaned, which prevents any more connections being made to the machine to try and rectify the problem.  The only recourse that I have been able to come up with is to visit the remote PC and manually disconnect the connection in "Control Panel" -> "Network Connections".

It has occurred to me that it may be possible to configure an Inactivity Timeout in the RAS Server on the remote PC but I don't know if this is possible or how to do it, any help or suggestions would be gratefully received.

Cheers Pugwash.

Apr 26, 2010 at 8:23 PM

That depends on what software you're using for your RAS server, and whether it can handle connections that have been orphaned. It sounds like whatever you're currently using doesn't have enough functionality built into it. You might need to consider getting proper hardware, or a proper RAS server.