win2003 - Update phone book error?

Nov 7, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Hi guys,

Been playing around with this great library but I've got a small problem.... I've wrote some code that creates a VPN connection when it starts.... I've developed the program on Windows Vista on VS2008, but when I try run the exe on my 2003 server I get the following error:

"The system could not update the phone book file"

I did some playing around with the code and found it fails when I try change the options... In specific, remove the Default Gateway Option....

var _book = new RasPhoneBook();
_book.Open(false);

try
{
	var _newEntry = RasEntry.CreateVpnEntry("Test1", "xxxx", RasVpnStrategy.PptpOnly, RasDevice.GetDeviceByName("PPTP", "vpn"));	
	_book.Entries.Add(_newEntry);

_newEntry.Options = _newEntry.Options & ~RasEntryOptions.RemoteDefaultGateway;
	_newEntry.UpdateCredentials(new NetworkCredential("xxxx", "xxxxx"));	
	_newEntry.Update();
}
catch (Exception error)
{
	MessageBox.Show(error.ToString());
}
If I comment out the .Options change it will work..... but the VPN connection will be incorrect.... Any ideas why this is?
Cheers guys!
Will
Coordinator
Nov 8, 2009 at 2:36 AM

Which version of the project are you using? (WIN2K, WINXP, WINXPSP2, or WIN2K8)

Nov 8, 2009 at 10:56 AM

WINXPSP2....

I've done some more testing and found a solution..... If I stick a Thread.Sleep in before trying to update the phonebook it seems to work! Maybe PC is running a little slow and not inserting the phone book entry into the phone book before trying to update it? Is this something you have come across before?

Coordinator
Nov 8, 2009 at 1:23 PM
Edited Nov 8, 2009 at 2:42 PM

If it were me I'd change the options before I added it to the phone book. You'll be able to remove the Update() call since UpdateCredentials does not require you to call Update().

Give that a shot and see if it helps.

Edit: Forgot to answer your question at the end.. I haven't heard any reports of anything like this happening, and I know people are using the project like this.

Nov 8, 2009 at 4:09 PM

that works perfectly! thanks so much for your help! :-)

Cheers
Will

Coordinator
Nov 8, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Glad to hear it! Let me know if you encounter any more problems.