How to add a DNS entry?

Oct 20, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Hi all!

I have to try my application to do this:

- When my VPN is connected, it must resolve a DNS name different way than my VPN is not connected.

I try to do this writing HOSTS file, but I don't like that so much...

Any idea?

Coordinator
Oct 20, 2009 at 1:48 PM

Well, outside of rewriting the network driver you can contact your DNS administrators and have them modify the entry in the DNS lookup tables for whatever network your VPN connects you to.

Oct 20, 2009 at 2:17 PM

I can to do this... but I think it will not work...

Example, I have a site published in Internet: myweb.mycompany.net

When I'm on my Intranet, that site is different to Internet one, because, on Intranet, mycompany.net is an internal domain.

When I'm connected via VPN, I always must be access Intranet site, but not always occur.
The only way to do this, add entrys on HOSTS file. This works because the computers will be always connected to VPN.

I hope you understand me...

Coordinator
Oct 20, 2009 at 4:32 PM
Edited Oct 20, 2009 at 4:35 PM

It sounds like there may be a larger issue here than the DNS problem you're having. Good rule of thumb: you shouldn't have two websites hosted with the same DNS name. If you're using subdomains that's legal from a network perspective, but I doubt we would use the same domain name for both internal and external sites even if we were using subdomains.

What happens if someone inside your network wants to get to the public facing website? For example, a tester that's trying to track down a bug on the website but can't because the DNS is routing them to the internal website.

Just some food for thought, but I personally would kick my DNS admins in the face if we had that situation here.

Your users should be intelligent enough to determine which website they want to get to, not rerouted to another website because they're connected to a network. yahoo.com should point to yahoo.com no matter which network you're on.

Edit: Just made some minor changes.