DosRas as a static library

May 27, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Hi,

I'd like to package DotRas as a static library in my project. So, I downloaded the source code and am trying to compile/integrate into my project. I'm at a complete loss at how to do this. Any pointers or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm not even sure which solution/project I should be looking at.

thanks,

eric

Coordinator
May 28, 2012 at 5:41 AM
Edited May 28, 2012 at 5:43 AM

Before I say anything, let me remind you that not using the compiled binaries will put you in an unsupported state. You'll be responsible for any maintenance of your forked version along with your own build and release process, and help from the forums will be either limited or non-existant since I won't know if you've done any changes to the project. If you're unfamiliar with RAS and/or p/invoke in general I would highly suggest just using the compiled binaries, it's a lot more complicated under the hood than you may realize. Aside from telling you where the solution file is at, you'll be on your own.

Now that the disclaimer is out of the way, the 1.2 release is currently sitting in Branches\1.2\Source\DotRas\DotRas.sln.

Good luck!

Edit: Just wanted to add, this project was never meant to be integrated into other projects through merging of project files.

May 28, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. You've sufficiently scared me into leaving things alone. I'll stick to the pre-compiled, distributed-by-you DLL.

Kind regards,

eric jung

Coordinator
May 28, 2012 at 5:42 PM

I just wanted to make sure you were aware of what happens when you've forked the code base is all. The files you put in your project wouldn't be kept up-to-date with what's in the official code base, and you'd be stuck merging any updates into your own project. Just a lot of hassle for not a lot of gain in my opinion.

Now if you had a hard requirement to not use 3rd party assemblies, then it might be a possibility, but even then you'd still be the one responsible for maintaining it. The way I usually think of it is... "Do I really want to spend time maintaining this, or adding functionality my users want into my app?" If it doesn't at least pass that test, I tend to just use what's been given to me.

Hopefully I didn't scare you too bad! Haha.

May 28, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Understood.

The "real" reason I wanted to do this was to obfuscate that I'm using DotRas.dll at all. You're right: the cost isn't worth the gain.

Eric