RasDialer.Dial() Win8 Developer Preview

Mar 5, 2012 at 1:31 PM

First of all, I really would like to thank for this great project.

It's a really important part of my current project, which i'm migrating to Windows 8 (not a metro app yet).

Running on Win8 Developer Preview, I can create a RasEntry properly, but when dialing I always receive this error message:

The modem (or other connecting device) is already in use or its not configured properly

I can dial the connection manually without any problems. Is this a Windows 8 known issue or I can do anything about it?

Coordinator
Mar 6, 2012 at 12:08 AM

As of right now, DotRas is not Windows 8 ready. As such, it's not a supported platform by the project but it is on the project roadmap for v1.3.

If the Windows 8 release experience is anything like Windows 7, I won't be updating DotRas until after Windows has launched. Yes I realize I'll be behind the power curve, but when Windows 7 was released a number of changes to RAS were in the product right before launch and then pulled which I would have needed to fix before I could release the next version of DotRas. As Windows 8 gets closer to release I may start implementing pieces I don't expect to change, but at this point we're too far from release to make that commitment.

As for the problem you saw, you may want to try elevating your application privileges. During the Windows 7 release, a large portion of the Win32 RAS API was placed under control of the UAC which it would make sense they have added even more of it for the Windows 8 release.

Mar 6, 2012 at 4:37 PM
jeff_winn wrote:

As of right now, DotRas is not Windows 8 ready. As such, it's not a supported platform by the project but it is on the project roadmap for v1.3.

If the Windows 8 release experience is anything like Windows 7, I won't be updating DotRas until after Windows has launched. Yes I realize I'll be behind the power curve, but when Windows 7 was released a number of changes to RAS were in the product right before launch and then pulled which I would have needed to fix before I could release the next version of DotRas. As Windows 8 gets closer to release I may start implementing pieces I don't expect to change, but at this point we're too far from release to make that commitment.

As for the problem you saw, you may want to try elevating your application privileges. During the Windows 7 release, a large portion of the Win32 RAS API was placed under control of the UAC which it would make sense they have added even more of it for the Windows 8 release.

I agree with you completely, and I have some good news actually.

The error was exactly about the lack of application privileges. I'm trying a lot of DotRas features on Windows 8 since yesterday and they all seems to work perfectly.

I guess you won't have any big troubles updating it after Windows has launched. However I'm also pretty sure that nothing or nearly nothing will work on Windows 8 Metro Apps, since it's using a completely new set of API's (WinRT).

Anyway, thank you for the support.

Coordinator
Mar 6, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Yeah I'm not exactly sure what we'll have access to use from Metro apps using WinRT. I was doing some searching on the Internet since you posed the question the other day trying to see what we'll be able to do in Metro apps, but I keep getting conflicting answers whether Win32 will be allowed, or what within the Win32 API we'll have access to use.

Once we get closer I'll probably put some time into checking all the APIs I've got implemented within Metro and see which ones have problems and which don't, though I am fairly confident we'll at least be able to do p/invoke. I do know that if I can use the RAS APIs within Metro I'm going to have to release a Metro class library version of DotRas to make sure it operates correctly in that environment. Only time will tell what we end up with in this environment, though I am excited about all the changes coming to Windows.

The best part about this project is I don't have to do much maintenance to get previous APIs to work as new versions of Windows is released. I can only think of a handful of APIs that have been deprecated in RAS over the years, and an even lower number of structs and enums that won't work between versions.

If you find anything else out about DotRas on Windows 8 please feel free to let me know, it may not be supported yet but it may help give me some direction to take when the time comes later.

- Jeff