How to Dial a VPN client without administrator privilege?

Aug 11, 2010 at 4:39 AM

Hi .

I create a vpn client with DotRas.dll and now whenever i wanted to dial i should run my program as an admin.

at least in Win7 and in vista i should turn the UAC off to make it working. is there any solution for not needing to admin privilege in Win7 and vista?

any reply appreciated before.

Coordinator
Aug 11, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Unfortunately those security requirements for admin privileges is not something I control. There is no code in the project to enable the UAC on specific pieces of the application. Those UAC requirements are part of Windows, not DotRas. From an earlier post of mine on this subject:

jeff_winn wrote:

Windows Vista did not do much to protect the RAS API in Windows, whereas Windows 7 added much (if not all) of the API under the UAC. Your application will need to have elevated privileges on these operating systems in order to interact with everything.

If you want the app to run on those platforms, you will need to either disable the UAC (not recommended) or request your application permissions be elevated.

Aug 16, 2010 at 6:02 AM

hey jeff.

I accept about UAC control of Win7 and Vista.

but i have another question. if we have some Limited User in XP and Standard User in Win7 and Vista they should run program with admin access. it means whenever a Limited User wants to run it, should ask admin to run it for him/her. what's the solution for this issue?

i want to my program to work in limited users PC without needing elevation. could this possible?

Coordinator
Aug 16, 2010 at 12:58 PM
What you're basically askiing for is keeping the security without keeping the security. Whatever security you have on your machines is up to you to maintain. If you want to use limited accounts, then you will need to deal with the privileges associated with those accounts. I have no workarounds for your security problems, you need to figure out how to work with them. The security you have imposed on your own machines could be very different than what I use.